Of pregnant CEOs and other gals


Twitter is abuzz with the news of Marissa Mayers being hired as Yahoo's CEO. People who had never heard of her, have been tweeting 'way to go', 'what an achievement'.

So did I. But for me, the news were exciting, due to the fact that Yahoo hired a pregnant woman for their CEO.

Pathbreaking!!

Yahoo's decision excites me. Especially so, since I had the experience of having my offer letter revoked by a wellknown MNC when I disclosed that I was expecting, and hence not willing to undergo the customary X ray medical test. I had cleared all the other medical tests, however, and I was categorically told that due to my 'condition', I would find the job 'strenuous'. And I was asked to apply back after delivery.

This so called 'challenging' job was that of a software engineer, did not require any travel of any sort, and I had been only 1 month 2 weeks into my pregnancy, and looked as fit as a fiddle (and as thin as a reed).

Clearly a case of 'discrimination'.

Aah, but I took it into my stride, and life went on, and so did my career.

In fact, during my second pregnancy, I worked till the last day on a critical module of the software that my team was developing for a global financial corporation, and took a conf call during labour. I was back in office after two and a half months, and off on an international business trip when my kid was 18 months old.

So, it is with excitement, that I read the news of a pregnant woman being hired to a top, challenging job, and will watch as she takes it into her stride. With delight, I also applaud the company that took this decision.

And I hope and wish that she silences her critics about her 'short break', as this is surely not the first time that a woman has had to cut short her maternity leave.

Here's a hardworking woman, and her company is providing her full support.

Posted via Blogaway

Comments